Monday, October 13, 2014

A little "happy mail"

Last week my daughter and I were visiting my parents, and a dear friend of my mother's wanted to take us to the Esse Purse Museum in downtown Little Rock. I had heard that such a thing existed, but I have to say that it was not at all what I expected. The museum is arranged by decade, from the 1900s through the 1990s, and each case is thoughtfully curated, giving historical context as well as details about why the purses of that decade were a particular size or color or fabric. I'm not much of a purse girl, but it was really surprisingly interesting. And their gift shop! My daughter went crazy at all the coin purses, clutches, handbags and evening bags. I thought it would be fun to snag a purse as a souvenir of our afternoon, but I have much better taste than I realized. Every single purse that I thought I could see myself carrying was at least $200. Do people really pay that kind of money for a bag??

Well, now we're home and I wanted to thank our friend properly for taking us to the museum. (And in Little Rock, that means nothing less than a handwritten thank you note.) Our friend is also a creative-crafty genius, so I wanted to make the card myself. First stop, Pinterest. 


This is what I ended up with. The striped paper is single-sided scrapbook paper, folded in half and cut into a trapezoid shape. I couldn't find a die that I know I have somewhere (grrr! So irritating!) so I drew a shape like this:

by hand and cut it with scissors. Like a caveman. I sliced two small openings along the fold of the red piece and threaded in ribbon for the handle, and added a brad as the purse closure.  Easy! 

No comments: